Successful First BTCC Test of the Hybrid Era.

Succeesful First BTCC Test of the Nybrid Era.

This week at Donington Park we saw the Power Maxed Racing team run their first test session with the new KwikFit Hybrid British Touring car. After spending the winter months building the car, the team’s anticipation was running high for the first lap to be completed.

As the team rolled in to the circuit full of eagerness for the day and season ahead the fog they encountered when they left the hotel early that morning hadn’t even started to lift. Unfortunately, this weather had everyone waiting two hours for things to get underway as the fog was stopping the morning session due to poor visibility in very fast parts of the circuit.

Eventually the fog cleared and the new hybrid equipped engines were up and running, filling the iconic Leicestershire circuit, with the sounds of BTCC once more.

However, Creesy remained in the garage for some of the session, due to a couple initial electrical gremlins with the car. This was due to the new wiring looms and hybrid components fitted this year, which was inevitable and a common theme in the pit lane.

The PMR mechanics and Cosworth engineers worked quickly and fixed the loom issues in conjunction with Cosworth Technicians, resulting in car #777 getting out for a couple laps just before the lunch break but most importantly completing that long awaited first lap.

Heading into the lunch break, positive conservations were had between Michael and the Power Maxed racing team, ensuring the car was set up and ready to kick off the afternoon session.

With the weather staying clear and dry, Michael made up for the lack of track time from the previous morning session and in the afternoon session completed a large amount of laps and collected a lot of data for the PMR engineers to analyse and work with moving forward.

With the session looking strong and only a few stops due to other drivers having mishaps.

In the final moments of the last session, the team decided to bolt on fresh tyres to the #777 car to see what time we could achieve, all believing Creesy could safely secure a low 1:10 but potentially a high 1:09s. Unfortunately our flying lap was ruined due to a red flag just before he crossed the start/ finish line, which then resulted in the session ending 5 minutes earlier than planned.

Overall the day was positive and lots learnt by both the Power Maxed racing team and Michael, and he shared, he felt more comfortable in the, new to him, left hand drive Vauxhall as the day matured.

Michael Crees, Power Maxed Racing, Car #777;
The day was good, obviously the morning we had a few electrical problems but the boys sorted that and the afternoon was great. Little gutted the red flag stopped my fast lap but happy with the overall result of the day and feel comfortable in the car.

Photo Captured by Peter from Still Photography.